Thousands of cases of Capri Sun are being voluntarily recalled by manufacturing company Kraft Heinz because they were reportedly contaminated by a diluted cleaning solution. That solution is used to clean food processing equipment, per a statement from Kraft Heinz, which said the solution was “inadvertently introduced into a production line at one of our factories.”
The recall affects only Wild Cherry flavored Capri Sun beverages, and approximately 5,760 cases have been impacted. Kraft Heinz said it learned about the contamination after receiving complaints about the taste of the drink. The statement did not disclose whether any illnesses have been reported in connection to the recalled product.
Below are the details of the recalled product; if you have any Capri Sun beverages in your home, you should check to make sure they aren’t affected by the recall.
- Name of product: Capri Sun Wild Cherry Flavored Juice Drink Blend
- Product size: 6.6 fl oz
- Packaging description: individual foil pouches packed in paperboard cartons
- Carton universal product code (UPC): 0 8768400100 4
- Case UPC: 87684 00409 00
- Manufacturing code on carton: 25JUN2023 WXX #### CT1404. (Note: #### on recalled products would be between 0733-1000, and XX may be 01, 02, or 03.)
- Manufacturing code on pouch: 25JUN2023 WXX LYY ####. (Note: #### on recalled products would be between 0733-0900; XX may be 01, 02, 03, 04, 09, or 10; and YY may be 01 through 12.)
- Best when used by date: June 25, 2023
If you discover any of the affected beverages in your home, you should toss them or return them to the store where they were purchased, per the statement from Kraft Heinz, which says the company is working with distributors and retailers to remove impacted products from circulation. Shoppers can also call 1-800-280-8252 Monday through Friday from 9 to 6 Eastern Standard Time to ask whether their product is part of the recall and receive reimbursement. If you are worried about potential illness related to the recalled product, reach out to a health care provider immediately.