There are a few phrases that make me cringe every time I hear them in fitness classes. They go something like, “Leave it all on the floor!” or “Go all out, this is IT!” As if any particular workout was some pivotal, all-encompassing, life-defining moment. As if your destiny was also wrapped up in completing one more burpee.
Hopefully you see where I’m going with this. There are plenty of reasons to not push yourself during every single workout. For one it’s not going to result in the “biggest gains.” Every body needs rest—and yours is no exception. Maybe it’s especially hot outside, in which case, taking it easy is an especially good idea. Maybe you’re hungover, tired, or stressing about something unrelated that’s draining your energy.
Or perhaps my favorite reason: Maybe you simply aren’t in the mood to “go hard.” If this sounds like you, I’ve got the perfect playlist. The songs feature mellow beats, pop throwbacks, and relaxed remixes with tempos that will help you move at just the right pace. As with the last playlist I made, there’s an order here (the first few and last few songs are especially chill), but you don’t need to play this whole thing in order (or work out for the entire playlist). You can play the songs via the Spotify embed below, or keep scrolling for the complete track list.
What makes a workout chill can look different for everyone. This could mean reducing the volume of your effort—less reps, less rounds of a circuit—or it could mean increasing your rest time between sets or dropping your weights entirely. Other options might be a slow flow yoga class, long walk, or light jog. Whatever you’re feeling, I hope you enjoy your light movement day. Know that you’ve earned it.
The full playlist:
- “Good News” by Mac Miller
- “Stay” – Petit Biscuit Remix by Zedd and Alessia Cara
- “Back to My Bed” by Elderbrook
- “Slow Song” by The Knocks, Dragonette
- “Water” by Ra Ra Riot, Rostam
- “Forever” – Remix by HAIM, Prins Thomas, Lindstrøm
- “Feel It Still” Medasin Remix by Portugal. The Man, Medasin
- “Hundred Miles” by Yall, Gabriela Richardson
- “Be Your Girl” by Teedra Moses, KAYTRANADA
- “Mon Amour” – Remix by zzoilo, Aitana
- “Late Night Talking” by Harry Styles
- “If We Never Met” – Remix by John K, Sigala
- “I Feel It Coming” by The Weekend, Daft Punk
- “Hard to Hold” by RAC, Tegan and Sara
- “Ooh La La” by Goldfrapp
- “Freelance” by Toro y Moi
- “Lisztomania” by Phoenix
- “In the Air” by Ten Fé
- “Breathe” by Télépopmusik, Angela McCluskey
- “Honest” – Lifelike Remix by The Chainsmokers, Lifelike
- “Cool Kids” – RAC Mix by Echosmith, RAC
- “All My Friends” by LCD Soundsystem
- “Brace” by Twin Shadow, Rainsford
- “80s Comedown Machine” by The Strokes